The Snows of Terror (part II)

There's still snow outside and I'm still chipping away at the short story.

It's not coming easily today. I'm not sure whether it's my mood or the nature of the story I'm working on: character and setting-wise I'm in someone else's house playing with their toys.

I speak with other writers on twitter, by email or face to face and I hear that they get 1000 - 2000 words done in a sitting and here's me struggling to knock out 700 - 800 words. Something's wrong here, surely? I'm positive I'm becoming a better, more accomplished writer but my discipline and self control are getting worse. A lot worse.

Perhaps I need a timetable, as though I were at school or university again. Something solid, planned out and written down that I have to follow. Perhaps making my day more rigid and regimental might get me into a set and regular pattern that will, if adhered to, eventually help me to produce 1000 - 2000 words per day that I so desperately need to be knocking out at this stage in my writing career.

Or perhaps I'm meant to be the 700 - 800 word producing dodderer and always will be for the rest of my life.

Comments

Popular Posts